Disclaimer: The following products were provided for free for purposes of this review. All opinions are solely those of the writer’s.
Whether you’ve just given birth to your first or your fourth baby, the postpartum season comes with so many body changes.
After having my fourth baby, I wanted a little extra support for this transitional season of my life—I knew from experience that it would be some time before I felt normal in my clothes again.
When Belly Bandit reached out about gifting me their Don’t Sweat It Bra Liner, Maternity Leakproof Brief, and Postpartum Biker Shorts, I was happy to give them a try–I’m already a big fan of Belly Bandits’ other postpartum products, so I was open to any wardrobe additions that would help me feel at home in my new body.
Here’s what I tried out:
About Belly Bandit
If you’re not familiar with Belly Bandit, they are a clothing line focused on outfitting pregnant and postpartum parents with basics that fit their body exactly as it is.
For people who are pregnant, they have essentials like belly bands that extend your pre-pregnancy pants while your belly grows and comfortable leggings for everyday wear. For parents who are breastfeeding or who have just given birth, there are supportive shorts, leggings, and nursing tanks.
I love that this clothing line is easy to find. Belly Bandit products are mid-priced and can be found in Target, Nordstrom, and Bed Bath and Beyond.
The only downside, in my opinion, is that Belly Bandit only offers straight sizing. Their largest size is an extra-large which accommodates up to a size 18. Sizing aside, I had a great experience trying out the Belly Bandit products—here’s what I tried and what worked for me as a postpartum mom.
For Underboob Sweat
Don’t Sweat It Bra Liner
- What it is: The first product I tried was the Don’t Sweat It Bra Liner, which easily slips under any bra to soak up sweat.
- Why you need it: If you’re wondering why on earth a product like this is necessary, allow me to assure you: postpartum sweats are no joke! In the early days right after giving birth, hormone changes and extra fluid from pregnancy will cause some vicious sweats, especially at night. And if you’re nursing, it can get sweaty wrestling your shirt and bra to the right position and keeping a human close to your body 24/7. So, trust me when I say, this is a really great product.
- Sizing details: This product is a one-size option, fitting up to an extra-large. As a mid-sized person, wearing a 36B and a size large nursing bra, I had no problem wearing this bra liner. I am already one of those people who sweats a lot and one of my postpartum anxiety medications makes me a little sweatier than normal.
- What I loved about it: I really appreciated the extra comfort it provided. I wore this a lot this summer while I was chasing around my older kids at the park or just cleaning up around the house.
- Care instructions: Caring for this product is fairly simple. You can machine wash it on cold and then lay it out flat to dry.
For All the Leaks of Motherhood
Maternity Leakproof Brief
- What it is: The Maternity Leakproof brief is essentially a “catch-all” underwear for leaks that occur with motherhood, from increased discharge at the end of pregnancy to bleeding post-pregnancy to urine accidents that can occur when a human bounces on your bladder.
- Why you need it: According to Belly Bandit, they are meant to be worn “before, during, and after pregnancy.”
- What I loved about them: Since these underwear are built with several layers of absorbent fabric, you can wear them all day without feeling uncomfortable or experiencing odor associated with leaks or discharge. They will also wick moisture away from your body for maximum comfort.
- Sizing details: Unfortunately, I only wore these briefs once for a short period of time since I found they ran big. As a size 14, I measured for an extra-large but realized I could have sized down to a large. These briefs also sit well below the waist, which I found uncomfortable with my mid to high rise pants. I would have preferred to pull them up over my lower abdomen, and I would have loved a snug fit. Instead, I found myself tugging at them all day to keep them up.
- Care: Machine wash on cold only.
For Everyday Comfort
Mother Trucker Biker Shorts
- What it is: Mother Tucker Biker Shorts are compression shorts meant to help you keep everything tucked in and supported—they feature Muffinology Technology, if that tells you anything.
- Why you need them: Basically, they keep you supported while still being soft and breathable, making comfortable compression a thing.
- What I loved about them: Belly Bandit states the fabric is breathable, and I found that to be true. I wore them often in humid and hot August weather to get exercise outdoors.
- Sizing details: These are mid-length shorts that fall right above the knee and they’re available in black. I really liked the fit of these until I got them pulled all the way up on my waist. Even though I measured between a large and an extra-large, I found the waist to be uncomfortably tight. Even so, I’ve worn them for working out or going for walks. When my husband and I had a night out, I added these shorts under my skirt. They definitely smooth things out and made me feel more comfortable in a more form-fitting outfit.
- Care: They can be machine washed but should be laid flat to dry.
Overall, I would recommend these Belly Bandit products to any mom looking for a little more support and comfort during the postpartum season.
Keeping sweat away while nursing a baby or chasing older kids is one of the little things that only a mom can appreciate and biker shorts under dresses or long shirts is a game-changer in the postpartum period. Be sure to get your sizing right when ordering these products, and be sure to check out the full line of ways Belly Bandit is supporting pregnant and parenting moms.
Freemie Breast Pump Reviews: What to Know About This Hands-Free Pump
Freedom to move + pump, with Freemie.