With the summer months right around the corner, it’s that time of year again to get the kids outside. While a wagon isn’t exactly a necessity for fun outdoors, it can be really useful on long walks or on outings when you need to bring a lot of stuff (which is like, every outing with kids, right?).
Read on for a look at the new and improved kids’ wagons on the market today, along with Truly Mama’s top wagon picks.
Kids’ Wagons: More than Just a Toy
Kids’ wagons aren’t what they used to be. Newer models go beyond the traditional wagon design and come loaded with features like sun covers, snack trays, and all-terrain wheels for functionality and convenience. Think of them as larger strollers equipped to cart around multiple kids in comfort and style.
These options are perfect for older toddlers or preschoolers who may want to walk some of the time but don’t have the stamina for an entire morning at the zoo or the park. They’re also ideal for kids who feel too confined in a stroller or want to see the world more—every child is different and some may put up less of a fight with ample room to look around in a wagon. Plus, the storage options mean you can avoid carrying a packed diaper bag and throw everything you need in the wagon.
What to Look for in a Kid’s Wagon
Strollers are great, but when you have a lot of stuff to cart around or your older kids need a break from walking, a wagon is the way to go. There are dozens of wagon options on the market at a range of different prices. Here are some common features to look out for when comparing wagons:
- Multi-kid seating. Most wagons are designed for two children who can sit up well on their own, but some allow for up to four kids and others come with infant car seat adapters, perfect for an infant and a toddler. What is best for you comes down to the ages of your kids and how many will be riding in the wagon at a time. And, even if you have only one or two children, you might still want to spring for the multi-kid option so you can stash your stuff in the wagon instead.
- Sun and water covers. Protection from the sun is a big plus when you’re out and about. Many strollers come with canopies that are easily removable or fold down when you don’t need them. And some come with water covers to keep the kids dry just in case it starts to rain.
- Snack trays. Every parent knows snacks are key for an enjoyable outing. To help contain messes and spills, some wagons come with snack trays that snap right into the wagon, giving your kids a place to store their goldfish crackers. Some of these trays also have cup holders, so your kids have a designated spot to keep their sippy cups and you don’t have to help them find their water bottles at the bottom of the wagon every few minutes.
- Beach and all-terrain capabilities. If you’re planning to stay on paved roads, this may not be important to you, but if you know you want to take your wagon to the beach or on more rugged terrain, you’ll want to look for one equipped for the task. Some wagons are designed for this purpose with swivel-wheel steering and larger tires.
- Pulling vs pushing. Traditional wagons have one option for moving — pulling them behind you. But newer models allow you to pull, or they’re basically like a stroller, but bigger and with more storage. If you’ll be using your wagon often, getting one that is easy to maneuver in this way may be worth the investment.
- Fold function. This one’s important if you want to be able to take your wagon with you on the go. Bigger can be better for fitting more kids and stuff in, but you have to make sure that the wagon can fold up easily enough for you to transport if needed.
It can be hard to narrow down your choices, so we picked our eight favorite kid’s wagons to suit any lifestyle and budget.
7 of the Best Kids Wagons
The Evenflo All-Terrain Stroller Wagon also features a nice-sized snack tray with built-in cup holders, so your little one can easily access snacks and drinks while you stroll. It is designed for two children and comes with two seats, two snack trays, and two full UPF 50+ sun canopies. You can also attach an infant seat to it, so it’s perfect for a toddler and baby. The all-terrain wheels allow you to easily maneuver along gravel, dirt, grass and concrete.
- UPF 50+ protection
- Folds up for easy storage
- Weighs 34.7 pounds
- Will hold up to 110 pounds
“I absolutely love this wagon! I highly recommend it. Every time I’m out with it someone asks me where I got it & how cool it is. It’s so smooth, I love the shades, it’s easy to fold and unfold & I love all the cup holders. One thing I dislike is how hard it is to get into my sedan sometimes but it still fits just takes a bit of practice!” — Allee Baby review
Keep in mind:
At almost 35 pounds this option is on the heavier side and may be difficult to lift in and out of the trunk of a vehicle.
The Wonderfold Wagon W4 is perfect for large families. Not only does it hold up to four children, but it also features a ton of storage for all their stuff! The W4 can hold up to 300 pounds but still fits through doors. It travels well with its easy fold and all-terrain extra-large wheels. And in terms of comfort, this wagon has it all:
- Reclining seats that can be removed altogether
- Ventilation mesh panels
- Magnetic 5-point cushioned harness
- Adjustable, removable canopy
- Adjustable handlebar
The W4 is recommended for children over six months.
“I bought our w4 luxe about a month ago and I thought spending that kind of money I would have INSTANT buyers remorse, however I can tell you this is THE BEST purchase I have EVER made!!! We go on more family adventures than ever before. Even my big kids 7, 9, and 11 try to wiggle there way into the wagon! Not only is it very loved by our family but everyone who sees us in it stops to ask, what is it, where did you get it, that is SOO COOL! and everytime I tell them do yourself a favor invest in it [because] it is for sure one of the BEST purchases I have made in my 11 years of being a parent! Don’t let the price scare and overwhelm you it is worth EVERY PENNY!! Thank you wonderfold!!” — Wonderfold review
Keep in mind:
This option is on the pricier side so it’s definitely an investment, but it’s versatile with many uses so it could serve your family for many years, especially if you have more than two kids. Additionally, the wagon is heavier than most at 63 lbs. (with the seats installed), so it may be difficult to get in and out of the trunk.
The Veer cruiser is a popular wagon for many reasons, including its sturdy design that will maneuver easily over bumps and rocks. It includes two seats, with two cup holders and one snack tray. You can pull the veer cruiser along behind you like a traditional wagon or lock it in place for easy pushing. This wagon is also compatible with infant car seats, but the adapter is sold separately.
- Front swivel wheels
- 3-point safety harnesses
- Weighs 32.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 37 x 20 x 25 inches; folded 37 x 20 x 14 inches
“We live in the desert, so a wagon that could handle all terrain was a must for us! The veer was so far the only one that stood up to that challenge! We can take it through the dirt, gravel, grass and even sand without any problems! The canopy is a must for the hot Texas sun! The basket adds great additional storage too!” — Allee Baby Review
Keep in mind:
This wagon does come with a snack and drink tray, but many other accessories, like a retractable canopy, are sold separately at an additional cost.
The Baby Trend Stroller Wagon comes with two seats, both equipped with 3-point harnesses for safety and security. It comes with a stroller style push handle that collapses down for easy storage under the wagon. In addition to the snack tray for the kids, this wagon also comes with a gray and cup holder at the push handle for the parent to use. Like similar models, this wagon also comes with an infant car seat adapter, so young babies can ride in the wagon as well.
- Canopy with UPF 50+ protection
- 3-point harnesses
- Weighs 42 pounds
- Dimensions: 42 x 27 x 44 inches
“This stroller/wagon combo is so convenient for our 2 and 4-year-old boys. The quality is everything I’d expect from Baby Trend. We’ve used it for a couple short walks, and it’s comfortable to push and maneuver.” — Wal Mart review
Keep in mind:
One potential drawback of the Baby Trend Stroller Wagon is the space. It is smaller than some other models. If you do add a car seat, another child may feel a bit cramped.
This wagon has three different modes to suit your needs. In car seat mode, you can attach your child’s car seat with the included adapter* and use this wagon starting at birth! For children over 6 months, set it in stroller mode and use the 5-point harness system. In wagon mode, haul your kids or your stuff—whatever you need up to 110 lbs.
Speaking of stuff, this wagon has TONS of storage. It includes a detachable cooler that holds up to 16 cans or 15 lbs. Parents get a cup holder and an organizer with three compartments and a zipper. And there are large storage pockets on the front and back of the wagon.
- Two adjustable handles to push or pull the wagon
- Swivel front wheels with all-terrain puncture-proof airless tires
- Compact fold and auto lock latch
- Removable UV-blocking canopy with roll-down sides
- Weight: 46.6 lbs.
*The car seat adapter works with the following seats: Graco SnugRide Click Connect 30, 35, 40; Evenflo Nurture and Embrace; Britax B-Safe 35; Chicco KeyFit 30
Good news! The classic Radio Flyer brand has a kids’ wagon, and it’s got some features you’ll want to hear about. First off, it was named one of the best folding stroller wagons of 2023. Its one-hand folding mechanism makes for a quick and easy breakdown.
You can use the Odyssey Stroll ‘N Wagon in three modes: a wagon for your stuff; a wagon for your kids; or unzip one of the canvas sides, lock the wheels, and it becomes a bench for your kids. Parents will love the adjustable handles that allow you to push like a stroller or pull like a wagon.
- Rear storage bag and interior mesh storage pouches
- Large durable wheels with bearings for a smooth ride
- Durable and easy to clean DuraClean® 2.0 fabric
- Roll-up UV-protection canopy
- 5-point safety harness and rear brake
- 2 parent and 2 child cup holders
- 120 lb. weight capacity
This wagon is suitable for children ages 1-3 years old.
This easy-folding wagon stroller features a lightweight design, clocking in at 33 lbs. It can be used as a wagon or a double stroller, depending on your needs. It features all-wheel suspension and all-terrain tires for a smooth, comfortable ride. With a large storage basket, parent compartment, and interior pockets, you have plenty of space for toys and snacks during your adventures.
The wagon’s interior features a drop-down foot well, which creates two individual seats with reclining capabilities. Pull that footwell up, and the interior becomes one large area to haul your gear. Each seat holds up to 55 lbs, with a maximum weight capacity of 200 lbs.
The Larktale Caravan offers a variety of customizable options:
- Canopy set: two individual, adjustable canopies with UPF50+ protection
- Double Seat Kit to convert a single seat to a double
- Car Seat compatible with the use of the adapter
- Snack Tray Set
Frequently Asked Questions
What age is a wagon for?
Some wagons have infant car seat adapters so they can be used with both babies and toddlers. However, most are designed for toddlers-age up to school-age as long as they meet the weight requirements for the wagon.
Are stroller wagons worth it?
Some stroller wagons can be an investment, but depending on how often you plan to use it and your family’s lifestyle, they can definitely be worth it. They can be great for hauling supplies long after your child outgrows the seating too.
What is the best stroller wagon?
This comes down to personal preference and which features matter most to you. Some stroller wagons are best equipped for all types of terrain, while others offer more seating or better storage. Make a list of the features you want included in a wagon and decide how much you’re willing to spend, then look for one that meets your needs.
Easy Reader Books Make Learning to Read Fun
Learning to read can be fun and stress-free with easy reader books!…