Gone are the days when summer meant hitting the beach to lounge for hours or sitting poolside with an icy drink while you indulged in a good book. Your summer months now mean chasing after your baby, changing diapers while you’re sweating in the heat, and panicking about sunburn on those adorably chubby cheeks.
But not to worry—it’s still possible to enjoy #momlife in the summer, we promise. You just need a little help to get you there. When it comes to having fun in the sun with your baby, the right summer baby products can make all the difference. Planning ahead for sun protection, accidents, and ways to stay safe from those harmful UV rays can mean extra time for you to relax. (I mean, as relaxing as playing with a baby or toddler outside can be!)
Summer Faves for Babes
From ways to keep your little one safe in the shade to our favorite poolside accessories for staying cool, here are our favorite essentials that Team Truly Mama recommends for soaking up sweet summertime:
Shaded Play Pool
Water Table Fun
Summer Sun Protection
On-the-Go Shade`n Play
Summer Strolling + Exporing
Sun Protection Clothing
Protect Those Little Eyes
Bye, Bye Bugs
Other Summer Baby Products to Consider
While you may have summer covered in big ways for your little one, there may be some more uncommon products that can help keep both you and your baby happy this summer. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Some summer essentials you may want to add to your list include:
- Mesh feeders. Keeping your little one hydrated is the most important step to cooling them down on hot days. For beginner eaters, mesh feeders are a fun way to offer frozen yogurt, breast milk, or cold fruit and sneak in extra hydration. The cool sensation also relieves sore gums from teething. We love Dr. Brown’s silicone version because it’s super-easy to clean, comes with a snap-on cover for on-the-go convenience, and has a handle that’s perfect for little hands. Team Truly Mama is always on #TeamIceCream, but for babies who may not be ready for dairy, a mesh feeder is a great way to get in that hydration.
- Reusable swim diapers. All that extra hydration of course leads to some extra wet diapers, and if you’re hitting up any type of public pool, you’re going to want to make sure those little baby buns are properly covered with a swim diaper.
- Steel baby bottle. Breast milk and formula provide full hydration for your baby, but once your baby is eating solids, you can introduce water to accompany feedings. If you want to keep some cool water on hand, this stainless steel option has the convenience of a bottle nipple and can transition to a straw when your little one is ready.
- Blackout curtains. Blackout curtains can help keep the hot sun from entering your home, keep the room temperature down, and also create a dark environment to help your little one sleep.
- Stroller fan. For walks outside, try clipping on a stroller fan. This version activates with one touch when the going gets too hot—but still offers a peace of mind with a caged cover.
- A lightweight sleep sack. If your baby sleeps with a flannel or warm sleep sack, try replacing it with a cotton alternative. Sometimes any extra layer can still be too much and a cool, comfortable baby is one who will sleep better.
Of course, you’re going to want to tackle all the “big” summer essentials too. You can check out out full summer guides on:
- Swim Diapers
- UV-Protective Clothing
- Water Tables
- Sun Hats
- Bug Spray
- Baby Sunglasses
- Kiddie Pools
- Life Jackets