For expecting parents who want a versatile wardrobe, maternity jeans are essential. With a couple of pairs of jeans, it’s even possible to keep your wardrobe small and budget-conscious. Paired with pre-maternity pieces, comfy maternity tees, and flowy blouses, jeans work for nearly all casual, everyday circumstances or to complete a maternity capsule wardrobe.
Even though I’ve reached 38 weeks and have officially traded my pregnancy jeans in for maternity leggings and sweatpants, nothing has been more reliable than my maternity jeans over the last several months. I
f fastening your pre-pregnancy jeans with a hair tie is officially no longer an option, here’s what to look for in pregnancy jeans, along with Truly Mama’s recommendations for the best maternity jeans to add to your list.
- What to look for in maternity jeans
- Best Maternity Jeans: MAMA Maternity Skinny Jeans
- Best Skinny Jean: Motherhood Maternity Super Stretch Skinny Jean
- Best Straight Leg Maternity Jeans: Secret Fit Straight Leg Maternity Jeans
- Most Eco-Friendly Maternity Jeans: Warp & Weft Maternity Jeans
- Best Plus-Sized Maternity Skinny Jean: JFK Plus Maternity Skinny Jeans
- Best Maternity Flare Jeans: Articles of Society Secret Fit Belly Flare Maternity Jean
- Best Maternity Overalls: Motherhood Maternity Overall Jeans
- Best Under-Belly Maternity Jeans: Under Belly Skinny Leg Maternity Jeggings
- Best Maternity Jeggings: Indigo Blue Secret Fit Stretch Ankle Maternity Jeggings
What to Look for In Maternity Jeans
If this is your first foray into shopping for maternity jeans, there are few helpful pieces of information to keep in mind. When it comes to fit, you can typically shop for items based on your pre-pregnancy size. If there’s an opportunity to try them on first, take it! You want enough stretch and room in the belly for a lot of growth over the next several months.
Outside of choosing from different styles, like skinny, bootcut, and straight-leg, you’ll also need to pick the panel style that is most comfortable for you:
- Full-panel: Full-panel jeans pull all the way up over your belly and are typically well-loved for the extra bump support they offer.
- Under-the-belly: An under-the-belly panel is just a little panel at the waistband that rests under your bump. If you don’t like extra fabric on your bump or tend to get hot with extra layers, you might prefer this option.
- Mid-panel: And for a fit somewhere right in the middle, you can get a mid-size panel, although I don’t recommend this for the last trimester, as it can definitely be uncomfortable.
Best Maternity Jeans
Best Skinny Maternity Jean
Best Straight Leg Maternity Jeans
Most Eco-Friendly Maternity Jeans
Best Plus-Sized Maternity Skinny Jeans
Best Maternity Flare Jeans
Best Maternity Overalls
Best Under-Belly Maternity Jeans
Best Maternity Jeggings
Frequently Asked Questions
When should I start wearing maternity jeans?
Whenever you want! There’s no right or wrong time to start wearing maternity jeans, although if you’re in your first trimester, you may not have a bump right away.
What are the best maternity jeans?
Motherhood Maternity gets our pick, with a variety of styles and options for everybody.
It is bad to wear maternity jeans while pregnant?
There is no evidence that maternity jeans are dangerous in any way to you or your baby. However, if you don’t like the idea of a constricting waistband, you may be more comfy in a pair of pregnancy leggings instead.
The Ins and Outs of the 3-Day Potty Training Method
Potty training can be tough, but you’ve got this, Mama!…