The Britax B-Safe Gen2 FlexFit is a new and improved version of the beloved Britax B-Safe 35 car seat with many of the same features and some additional improvements.
Here’s a look at the unique features of the Britax B-Safe Gen2 FlexFit and what to keep in mind when considering this car seat.
In this article:
Britax B-Safe Gen2 FlexFit: An Infant Car Seat Made for Safety
The Britax B-Safe Gen2 FlexFit is well-known for its enhanced safety features that make it stand out from other car seats. For one, Britax car seats have a steel frame and in the infant version, the base is also reinforced with steel. This is important because a sturdy base is key to a stable and secure car seat that doesn’t move.
The base also includes SafeCell technology that looks like red honeycomb webbing. This unique Britax feature is designed to work as a crumple zone, absorbing crash energy and pulling it away from the infant.
The 5 other infant car seats Britax sells have these same safety features, but the main difference between the Britax B-Safe Gen2 FlexFit and other models, like the Britax B-Safe 35, is comfort and space.
The B-safe 35 is narrow and deep, but the Gen2 FlexFit is roomier in the seat and shoulder areas. Plus, it has cushier padding and six different headrest positions compared to B-Safe 35’s four.
If safety is your number one priority in a car seat, it’s hard to beat Britax. Older Britax models like the B-Safe 35 seemed to prioritize safety over comfort, but the Gen2 FlexFit offers both.
"SafeCell technology features red honeycomb webbing that works like crumple zone, absorbing crash energy and pulling it away from the infant."
Britax B-Safe Features to Love
Safety isn’t the only reason to consider the Britax B-Safe Gen2 FlexFit infant car seat (though it is a very good one!). Here are some other features of the seat we love.
- Ergonomic handle. The non-slip handle on the Britax B-Safe Gen2 FlexFit makes it easy to tote around. The handle is specifically designed to be held either in your hand or the crook of your arm. Because the steel frame on Britax seats make them heavier than most (about 20 pounds without the baby in it), an ergonomic handle is a must for hauling baby in and out of the car.
- Protective canopy. The B-Safe Gen2 FlexFit comes with a sturdy waterproof canopy. The canopy is also made out of UPF 50+ fabric, so it also protects your baby from the sun. A canopy is a great feature to help shield your child from harsh elements and is especially useful if you plan to also use your car seat with a stroller.
- Easy installation. The Britax B-Safe Gen2 FlexFit uses the same LATCH installation system as other Britax seats. To install the seat, simply connect the lower anchors, pull straps to tighten and then click the carrier into the base. The LATCH connectors and lock-offs will snap into place with an audible click, and you can easily release them with the push of a button. The Gen2 FlexFit also comes with a European Belt guide that offers the option of installing the seat without a base. If you have any trouble installing the seat, you can contact Britax customer service at 1-888-427-4829 or 1-704-409-1699.
- Washable fabric. This is a big upgrade from the hand-wash only fabric of the B-Safe 35 model. The high-performance breathable cover in the Gen2 FlexFit is machine-washable, plus the ventilated mesh helps keep your baby cool.
- Wide weight range. The weight limit for the Britax B-Safe Gen2 FlexFit is 4 to 35 pounds, meaning you can use it from the day you come home from the hospital through the early stages of your little one’s toddler years (depending on the size of your child of course).
“The high-performance breathable cover in the Gen2 FlexFit is machine-washable, plus the ventilated mesh helps keep your baby cool."
Must-Know Details of the Britax B-Safe Gen2 FlexFit
When you’re considering a new car seat for your baby, you want to know the specs to ensure it fits both your baby and your car.
Here’s what the Britax B-Safe Gen2 offers:
- Car seat weight: 11 lbs.
- Car seat base: 9 lbs.
- Height limit: 32 inches
- Can be used from 4-35 lbs.
- Car seat dimensions: 26.6” X 17.9” X 25.9”
- No rethread harness
- Aircraft certified
- Rear-facing only
Before You Buy
The Britax B-Safe Gen2 FlexFit is a solid car seat choice for safety and ease of use, but there are some potential drawbacks to consider as well.
Here’s what you’ll want to consider before buying:
- The steel frame in this car seat makes it heavier than most. This is what Britax is known for and it’s a high safety feature, but it’s still something to consider if you have mobility issues or will be doing a lot of transfers. As your baby grows, hauling this car seat around will only get more difficult.
- Limited stroller computability. On that note, if you’re hoping to use your car seat with a stroller, your options will be limited with a Britax. These seats are only compatible with Britax or BOB strollers.
- High cost. The cost of the B-Safe Gen2 FlexFit seat is also a bit on the higher end, thanks to its steel reinforced base and additional safety features.
Pros & Cons
Steel reinforced base
SafeCell crumple zone technology
Only compatible with Britax strollers
On the more expensive end
Britax is a respected brand known for its superior quality and safety ratings. The Britax B-Safe Gen2 FlexFit car seat comes with all the safety features Britax is known for, plus additional comfort enhancements and easy installation. While the steel frame on this seat does make it heavy, that’s good news as far as safety goes. If you do happen to get in a crash, a heavy, sturdy seat will help protect your little one.
You can’t really go wrong with any of the Britax seats, but the Gen2 FlexFit is a winner in combining safety with comfort.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long can you use the Britax B-Safe?
The Britax Gen2 FlexFit is good for 6 years, and the company also offers a one-year warranty. The weight limit is 4 to 35 pounds and the height limit is 32 inches.
Is the Britax B-Safe discontinued?
Yes, the original Britax B-Safe has been discontinued. Britax now offers newer versions of the B-Safe, including the B-Safe 35 and the Gen2 FlexFit.
Was Britax B-Safe recalled?
There was a recall in 2017 due to concerns of a clip breaking on the B-Safe 35, B-Safe 35 Elite and BOB B-Safe 35 seats made between November 2015 and May 2017. This shouldn’t affect car seats purchased now, but is a good reminder to purchase your car seat new, and as an extra precaution, make sure to always check the manufactured dates.
The Ollie Swaddle Promotes Better Sleep . . . for Everyone!
Get a better, safer sleep for your infant with the Ollie Swaddle.