Nighttime feeding and comforting is a crucial component of newborn care. As a three-time C-section mom, however, responding to my baby’s cries for the first few months was painful and difficult. I often wished I could have my newborn closer to me to feed in the night, and that rousing myself to feed my beloved child felt less like climbing Mount Doom.
Addressing the laments of exhausted parents everywhere, Halo now offers a bassinet that comes to you.
Placed near your bedside, the Halo Bassinet swivels over to your bed and away again, making it so much easier to comfort your baby during the long hours of the night (or the short hours of a nap!). Safe sleeping has never been so close at hand for parents of newborns.
Here’s more about this near-magical sleep aid in our Halo Bassinet review.
Overview of the Bassinet
Moms know those first months of their baby’s life are critical for establishing a healthy bond with their child. When my youngest was a newborn, I recall watching him anxiously as he slept, feeling unable to get a moment of peace until I knew he was breathing evenly and sleeping soundly.
The HaloBassinest was designed with these parental instincts in mind. Anchored by a sturdy, 4-point base, the Halo is designed to adjust to the height of your bedside. Restoring a pacifier or holding your baby’s hand is within arm’s reach as you lie down or sit up in your own bed. Plus, the bed portion of the Bassinest can swivel 360 degrees, so you can turn your baby toward you in the night and easily pick them up and snuggle them as needed. The Halo Bassinest is designed for use from the newborn stage until your baby reaches 20 lbs.
The mattress of the Bassinest can be easily cleaned—a win for anyone familiar with the frequent spit ups and diaper blowouts newborns bring into the world with them. It can be wiped down with a damp cloth and the mattress is waterproof. It also includes a fitted, machine-washable sheet to keep your baby comfortable as they adjust to their new sleeping quarters.
There is a side pouch on the Bassinest that is handy for storing diapers, nipple cream, or anything else you want to keep nearby during the early days of parenthood.
How We Rated the Product
- Function. Does the Halo Bassinest accomplish what it sets out to do? (5 stars)
- Safety. Will my newborn be safe using the Halo Bassinest? (5 stars)
- Affordable. How affordable is the Bassinest for the length of time I will use it for? (3 stars)
- Customization. How much can I customize the Bassinest to suit my family’s unique needs? (5 stars)
- Care. How easy is the Bassinest to clean and care for? (4 stars)
Overall rating: 4.
Pros & Cons
Promotes safe sleep
Deluxe features available
Easy to use
Only used for short period of time
Halo Bassinest Features
The Bassinest is a perfect addition to any family’s newborn setup. Here are some of the ways the Halo Bassinest can make sleep with a newborn more manageable:
The bed of the Bassinest swivels a full 360 degrees. As a breastfeeding mom, I would have loved to be able to retrieve my baby so easily in the night—especially as I healed from my cesarean incision.
The four mesh walls of the Bassinest keep the baby safe, and one wall can be lowered as you retrieve your baby, avoiding some awkward reaching and ensuring you can safely pick up your baby, even from the comfort of your bed. Plus, wall springs back up automatically to help keep your baby safe and prevent any accident that could come from forgetting to put up the wall.
When feeding is done, the baby can be placed safely back in the Bassinest, and the Bassinest can be swiveled safely beside the parent’s bed once more.
The Bassinest can be adjusted from 24”-34”, so it can fit beside most adult beds. The adjustable height means parents can keep their baby close by without having to reach unnecessarily to swivel them.
Baby can sleep safely near their parents in their very own bed, while parents can rest more peacefully knowing their baby is nearby and safe.
The Halo Bassinest is also available in two deluxe options for parents who wish for additional features.
The Bassinest Premier Series has the same features as the original Essential Bassinet, but includes a “Soothing Center” with a night light, two levels of vibration, and four different relaxing sounds.
The Premier also includes two storage pockets as opposed to one with the original—which equals more space for diapers! With the Premier option, parents have a variety of soothing techniques available with their Bassinest.
The Luxe Bassinest includes many of the same features of the Essential and Premier, except the bassinet portion can be removed. Parents can remove the bed and keep an eye on their baby at ground level around the house.
Babies who love their bassinet can now nap anywhere—and they can take their soothing sounds and vibrations with them. The mesh side walls of the Luxe Bassinest can be zipped off and machine washed, and includes a removable storage caddy that is more robust than the pouches on the Essential and Premier.
Before You Buy the Halo Bassinest
Every family will have unique goals and needs as they welcome a new baby into their lives. If you are considering whether or not the Halo Bassinest is right for you, a few things to keep in mind include:
- Feeding goals. The Halo Bassinest can be a helpful ally during nights of frequent feeding. Having your baby nearby without having to walk across the room to get set up for nursing makes a huge difference in the tired delirium of postpartum recovery. Plus, your baby is safe in their own bed even when they are close to you.
- Postpartum recovery. For moms who have had cesarean deliveries or other surgical complications during childbirth, being able to have their baby sleeping near without having to put extra strain on incisions can be a tremendous source of relief. Coming from a mom who ripped open her incision getting out of bed to nurse (ouch!), I can say without a doubt that this would have improved my C-section recovery.
- Extra features. The standard Essentia Bassinest offers a closeness to families through its swivel design, but there are also more expensive premium models available with sounds and vibration. You never really know if your baby will love or hate the sounds and vibrations, so it’s worth considering whether or not you want to invest in these extra features your baby may or may not love.
- Price. The Bassinest is only designed to be used from newborn stage until your baby shows signs of rolling over. For many families, this is only 4 or 5 months. The cost of the Bassinest, especially the premium models, is something to consider since you will likely need to purchase a second crib for your baby when they outgrow their Bassinest.
- Room layout. Consider where you will be sleeping after you bring your baby home. Will your room accommodate a bassinet right next to your bed?
As a three-time breastfeeding and C-section mother, I wish I would have come across the Halo Bassinest. The Halo Bassinest is a thoughtfully designed newborn bed that any parent would benefit from, especially in the early days of cluster feeding and establishing a close relationship with your newborn.
The peace of mind of having your baby close in a safe sleeping situation, along with the relative ease of reaching them when they fuss, establishes the Halo Bassinest as a peaceful newborn sleep haven.
Now, here’s hoping we can all get some much-needed rest.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long can my baby use a Halo bassinet?
The Bassinest is designed to be used until baby shows signs of being able to roll over, or until they reach 20 lbs.
Is the Halo bassinet worth it?
For parents who wish to keep their newborn close, the Halo Bassinest offers superior peace of mind. It is especially handy for moms who have had C-sections or injuries during childbirth, and for breastfeeding parents.
Why is the Halo bassinet so good?
The 360-degree swiveling Halo Bassinest means you don’t have to get out of bed to soothe your baby back to sleep.
Comotomo Baby Bottle Bundle Gift Set
The baby bottle, an all new way.