As a mom who has bought numerous bassinets, toddler beds, loft beds, and big-kid beds, I can personally attest to the fact that the transition to new beds is time-consuming, emotional for the child, and oftentimes, expensive.
Many times, I’ve found a great deal on a bed and set it up nicely, only to spend many nights fully awake with my child who refuses to sleep in it. New parents, however, don’t have to scour the marketplaces or conduct tedious bed research like I did, thanks to the innovative Stokke Sleepi.
The Stokke Sleepi is a convertible crib-to-bed designed to last a child from age 0 to 10. Much like the parent-favorite Stokke high chair, the Stokke Sleep is minimally designed to be multi-functional and last long past the baby years. Here’s more about the Stokke Sleepi, and if it might be right for your family.
In this article:
How We Rated the Stokke Sleepi
As you can see, we gave the Stokke Sleepi crib a rating of 4 stars. Every family will be looking for different features out of a crib, but overall, at Truly Mama, we evaluate our cribs based on 4 primary criteria:
- Conversion ability (if the crib can convert to a toddler and/or full-size bed)
The Stokee Sleepi gets high marks in all areas, but the price is higher-than-average for a baby crib, so it won’t be right for all families. We marked the Sleepi down a star for that aspect, but for the length of time you can use this crib, it’s definitely one to consider.
Stokke Sleepi: Crib to Bed, Up to Age 10
Stokke has a reputation for building functional, long lasting products that are centered on solutions for families. The Sleepi is so long-lasting, in fact, that it can accommodate weight up to 176 pounds and can be adjusted to 4 different mattress heights. Put together in its default size, the Sleepi has dimensions of 50 x 29 x 33.5 inches.
It can be converted to 4 different mattress heights, similar to many other crib-to-toddler beds, but it also offers a junior-sized extension which extends the bed to 67.6 inches. You’ll need an extension kit if you want to convert it to the Junior size. Here are some of the other features you’ll find in this crib:
Oval-Shaped and On the Move
One of the most unique features of the Stokke Sleepi is that it comes in an oval shape. There are no hard edges or corners on this beautiful bed: its nest-like shape provides a comforting cocoon for your little one.
However, that pretty oval shape also means that it requires the purchase of a special mattress. (More on that later.)
The Stokke Sleepi also features lockable swivel wheels. This can be handy to parents in the early days of bedside feedings or for moving around a crib in a living area with limited space.
When you don’t want your crib on the move, the wheels safely lock to ensure your little one doesn’t take a forbidden a joy ride.
You’ll Buy A Mattress (Or Two!)
As we mentioned, you will have to purchase a separately-sold oval-shaped mattress with the Sleepi Crib. That means special oval sheets that will only fit the Stokke.
The Sleepi can also convert to a toddler bed without any additional purchases, but the Junior size requires a kit to convert to a bigger bed, which some families even use as a couch. To use the Sleepi in its Junior size, you will have to buy yet another mattress.
A Sustainable, High Quality Bed
The Stokke Sleepi is a sustainable option chosen by families because it can be converted into multiple sizes. Rather than going out and buying three different beds for a single child, families can convert the crib to a bed in order to reduce waste and spend less time and money on cheap, quick-to-deteriorate furniture.
The beech wood structure is designed for durability, which means families can rely on the Stokke Sleepi to last throughout their little one’s childhood without having to replace anything. In addition, Stokke offers a 7-year warranty for the Sleepi, so families can be assured they can get the help they need with the bed as their child grows.
Pros & Cons
Space-saving oval design
Made from sustainable beech wood
Converts from crib to bed
Extension kit must be purchased separately
Cannot convert to bassinet size
Before You Buy
The Stokke Sleepi offers families a long-term sleeping solution by adapting to multiple stages of childhood.
It’s a beautiful, sturdy addition to any childhood habitat—but that being said, if you’re contemplating the purchase of a Stokke Sleepi, there are a few considerations to keep in mind:
- Cost: The high quality of the Stokke Sleepi, the Sleepi Mattress, and the conversion kit is worth a second thought before purchasing. For many families, buying one bed that can withstand the baby, toddler, and childhood years may be worth the investment. For others, the price tag may not be a worthy trade-off with a newborn, especially if you’re not sure what your sleeping arrangements will look like in the future (or if you’ll end up using the crib for a future baby). Carefully consider your budget as you decide whether or not the Stokke Sleepi is right for your family.
- Bedding: Due to the oval mattress, there are going to be fewer crib sheets and bedding options for the Sleepi. This may not bother some families, but if you are someone who has a very particular idea in mind for your child’s nursery, be prepared to have to go the extra mile to find oval sheets or to purchase the Stokke Sleepi Fitted Sheets.
- Assembly: There are a few Amazon reviews that mention the difficulty of putting the Stokke Sleepi together. As your vulnerable baby will be spending a great deal of time in the crib and bed, it’s important to make sure that the crib is assembled properly to avoid accidents. It’s also important to regularly inspect the crib for signs of wear.
- Family Size and duration of use: The Stokke Sleepi is designed to last through its 7- year warranty and beyond. Not all families will have the same goals in regards to family size or toddler bed usage. It’s definitely worth considering how long you truly plan to use the Stokke Sleepi or if you will want to make the investment in the Junior conversion kit. If you do not think you’ll use the kid size, there are other cheaper options for convertible cribs. If you plan to have children in the future, the durability of the Stokke Sleepi may be worthwhile to you.
From the first few hours after delivery to the growth spurts of childhood, your child’s sleep is an element of their life that is essential to their well-being.
The Sleepi is a beautiful bed that mimics the snug, cocoon-like safety of sleep. The oval shape does bring up some extra costs in the form of mattresses, sheets, and conversion kits, but if you are looking for a stylish and sustainable sleeping station for your little one, the Stokke Sleepi will not disappoint.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Stokke Sleepi worth it?
The soothing oval shape, durability, and sustainability of the Stokke Sleepi make it a great option for many families, but it does have a high price point.
How long does that Stokke Sleep Mini last?
The Stokke Sleepi Mini is designed to last until the baby is 6 months old, although they may grow out of it before then.
Can Stokke Sleepi convert to a mini?
The Stokke Sleepi cannot convert to a Stokke Mini. The Mini, however, can convert to a Sleepi with the purchase of Stokke Sleepi Bed Extension.
The Ins and Outs of the 3-Day Potty Training Method
Potty training can be tough, but you’ve got this, Mama!…