While every toddler is different and might enjoy one gift more than another (they are little people with their own personalities, after all), we did the work of interviewing seasoned parents, pouring over Amazon reviews, and comparing top toy guides to compile our list of gift ideas for a 1-year-old.
The best gifts for 1-year-old children are ones that encourage them to engage, touch, and do (whether that’s touching, clapping, pushing and pulling, or moving items from one container to another). When in doubt, a top-rated board book is always a great gift option – and parent-approved, since it takes up minimal space.
“As your little one transitions from baby to toddler, keep an eye out for toys that encourage building your baby’s vocabulary and developing social interactions,” says Brittany Mendes, a speech language pathologist who specializes in childhood social development. “They are making huge leaps in their development so it’s important to encourage imaginative play for emotional, mental, and physical growth.”
Translation? Play is serious business for 1-year-olds. So let’s dive in to some of our favorite gifts for toddlers.
- Best Push Toy: Radio Flyer Wagon Walker
- Best Water Toy: Step2 Rain Showers Water Table
- Best Touchscreen Toy: LeapFrog Laptop
- Best Ride-on Toy: Zoo 3-in-1 Scooter
- Best Bath Toy: Munchkin Fishin' Hook
- Best Splash Pad Toy: SPLASHEZ Sprinkler Pad
- Best Musical Gift: Baby Einstein Magic Touch Piano
- Best Take-Along Musical Toy: Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Toy
- Best Toy to Give to Another Parent: Drum Set
- Best Wooden Toy: Battat Wooden Activity Cube
- Best Toy for Teaching Shapes: Melissa & Doug Shape Sorter
- Best Toy for Teaching Letters: Soft Alphabet Cards
- Best Cotton Toy: Cuddle and Kind Dolls
- Best Interactive Toy: VTech Carrier Toy
- Best Sensory Book: Never Touch Books
- Best Interactive Book: Around the Farm Animal Sound Book
Best Push Toy
Best Water Toy
Best Touchscreen Toy
Best Ride-on Toy
Best Bath Toy
Best Splash Pad Toy
Best Musical Gift
Best Take-Along Musical Toy
Best Toy to Give to Another Parent
Best Wooden Toy
Best Toy for Teaching Shapes
Best Toy for Teaching Letters
Best Cotton Toy
Best Interactive Toy
Best Sensory Book
Best Interactive Book
More Toddler Toy Ideas
Need more ideas for what to give your toddler or five as a toddler gift? We have plenty more options for you to check out!
Bebcare Motion Digital Video Baby Monitor Review
Knowing I'm making every effort to reduce wave pollution for baby helps us both sleep better.