Nothing is more exciting than experiencing the Christmas season with a little one along for the ride. Something about a new baby makes the magic of the season truly come alive. So bring on the giggles, naps beside the Christmas tree, and sneaks of sweet treats if your little one is of age–the holidays are almost here and will no doubt be extra special this year.
Whether you choose to commemorate your baby’s first Christmas with an inaugural ornament, kick off the want/need/wear/read philosophy, or gift them with so many presents they get tired of opening them, let Truly Mama guide you with some tried and true gift ideas for baby’s first Christmas.
- How to choose a Christmas gift for babies
- Best for magical play: Balu Organics Large Ball Pit
- Best stuffed animal toy: My First Pet from ebba
- Best for building balance: Lily & River Little Surfer balance board
- Best for new walkers: Radio Flyer wagon walker
- Best for little explorers: Multicolored play tunnel
- Best for guacamole lovers: Arnold the Avocado teether
- Best for new teethers: Sweet Cheeks Teether
- Best for new readers: Indestructibles No-Tear Books
- Best for little feminists: Little Feminist Board Book Set
- Best sensory book: Friendly Faces on the Farm Sensory Book
- Best book set: Baby Lit books
- Best for burgeoning cowgirls and boys: Rody Bouncy Horse
- Best for busy fingers: Dimple Digits
- Best for busy little bees: Busy Activity Beehive
- Best play gym: Lovevery Play Gym
- Best first puzzle: Melissa & Doug Jumbo Knob Puzzle
- Best first footwear gift: Freshly Picked baby moccasins
- Best for sweet dreams: Dohm Elite Sound Machine
- Best for playtime: ABC Convertible Baby Activity Teepee
- Best for hand-eye coordination: Djeco Tapatou Chicken
How to Choose a Christmas Gift for Babies
Choosing a Christmas gift for babies might seem difficult, but it doesn’t have to be! There really is no “right” or “wrong” first Christmas gift you can give your baby, so have fun with it–you get to make the rules year. Here are some commonly-asked questions parents might have about babies’ first Christmas:
What do you put in a baby’s first Christmas stocking?
Think ahead to the upcoming year; search developmental milestones for year 1-2 and let that guide your gift buying. I also love to fill stockings with consumables like new and favorite snacks, bath toys, toddler silverware, new socks, and laminated photos of family members so they can practice facial recognition.
What is the best gift to give a newborn baby?
Newborns grow and develop so fast! Rather than gifting based on their current size and skills, think ahead a few months. By spring will they be ready for new shoes? By summer will they be excited to crawl all over a small outdoor play structure?
Of course, it is always a good idea to ask the parents what they need most. Maybe some necessary items were forgotten on the baby registry. Christmas is the perfect time to fill in those gaps.
What gifts do new moms really want?
Don’t forget about mom! New moms love thoughtful gifts, but if you really want to wow a new parent consider gifting a service rather than buying something at the store. Surprise her with a massage, a housecleaning service, or a meal delivery subscription like Hello Fresh or Daily Harvest.
Of course, so you have something to wrap up with the certificate or email confirmation pair a massage with a lotion or essential oil, a housecleaning with a new sponge or fragrant dish soap, and a meal delivery service with a fancy bar of chocolate for a special dessert after their healthy meal. And you can check out our full list of gifts for moms for more ideas.
Ok, now, let’s dive right into the best Christmas gifts for babies and toddlers!
20 Christmas Gifts for Babies
Best for Magical Play
Best Stuffed Animal Toy
Best for Building Balance
Best for New Walkers
Best for Little Explorers
Best for Avocado Lovers
Best for New Teethers
Best for New Readers
Best for Budding Feminists
Best Sensory Book
Best Book Set
Best for Cowgirls and Boys
Best for Little Fingers
Best for Busy Little Bees
Best Play Gym
Best First Puzzle
Best First Shoes Gift
Best for the Gift of Sleep
Best for Playtime
Best Toy for Boosting Hand-Eye Coordination
Mompush Ultimate 2 Stroller Review
Moms aren’t exempt from wanting nice things. And if we have to splurge on something kid-related, why not a luxury…